Tuesday 13 November 2012

Transforming Paper from 2-D to 3-D

Hello!

Today was quite a busy day for me today. I went to my second Print workshop with Des, where I created some prints based on the shrouded girl, and even though I wasn't quite pleased with the first couple attempts, I did manage to create some very interesting prints which tie in well with the distortion and gloominess of the picture of the young girl. Sorry that I don't have any pictures of these pieces, but I will post them up very soon!

I also went to another one of Elaine's 3-D workshop, mainly because I wanted to get some ideas for my idea of using geometric shapes to create a sense of restricted space. I learned a very useful method of folding, where you use the back of the blade on the opposite side of paper and gently folding the paper to create the shapes created on the reverse side. As a result I could create very soft, subtle, triangle shapes to long, sharp spikes, that emerge from this once flat surface. Another useful part of the workshop was finding out the names of some very interesting artists:

Richard Sweeney

"Motion Pleat" - 2010

Very delicated form, the pleats transform the 2-D surface into a swirling 3-D piece, which has a sense of movement. It's interesting to see how this is made, and it influences myself to create spherical forms with this pleating technique. 

Piere Vanni

"Small Panorama"

Gentle folding creates a soft, rugged surface, while folding larger shapes create more intense, larger spikes, which are slowly emerging out of the flat surface.



These artists are definitely very influential towards my own work right now, and I would love to create similar pieces to their work.

As I mentioned above, I will be posting pictures of the prints soon, and a couple of pictures from the 3-D workshop. Stay tuned for more updates! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment