Saturday 3 November 2012

CCS: Researching Michelangelo & Dürer

Hello!

Since I do have my Critical and Contextual Essay due in a few weeks time, I gave some of my time today to think about which essay title I will do for Critical and Contextual Studies, and I have decided to choose essay no.2:

Evaluate the difference between Northern and Italian Renaissance art through an examination of two works each by a different artist, who worked contemporaneously.

I also did a little research on these artists, and so, here's just a little info on these artists and how they both work quite differently to one another:

Michelangelo

Michelangelo is one of my all time favourite artists. He created beautiful sculptures of the male body, which all have a sense of homo-eroticism  His major works have a religious subject matter, such as "The Last Judgement". Michelangelo was most definitely interested in the human form and included ignudi and sybils on the celing of the Sistine Chapel.




Dürer

Albrecht Dürer is a German artist who is famous for his paintings and woodcuts. Since religious imagery was not allowed in churches in Northern Europe, Dürer focused on portriature and landscape. He did not paint God as a man with almighty power and might like Michelangelo did, instead, he painted portraits of himself to show his beauty. He is the first artist who is known to have painted a self-portrait and to have done landscape painting.





Hopefully this essay will turn out well in the end, so far, so good!

That's all for now. I'll be talking to all of you soon! Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment