Friday 2 November 2012

Mark Making in Confined Spaces

Hey guys!



Thought I would start of this update by wishing all of you a Happy Halloween. I know it's a bit late, but it's better than not hoping you had a nice Halloween at all!

Last night I was trying to think of some new ideas which I can work upon, and after I went through some of the artists in my Contextual Notebook, I watched some of Matthew Barney's videos from his series titled "Drawing Restraint". Since Barney retrains himself in these videos while making marks in the space surrounding him, I thought that I can try mark making in some restricted spaces. It's time to go back to my roots for this particular project: the good old cardboard box.



I plan to get inside the cardboard box and starting drawing on the inner walls of the box, to see what marks are made, and if they look any different to the marks that can be made without sitting in this confined space i.e sitting with a pencil and paper in front of a desk. I love experiments that get myself really immersed in the whole project!



I also began thinking about this idea when I look through some photos I took of my friend, Philip Desmond, working in his studio space which is surrounded by electrical tape. He's investigating the shadows the tape makes in the studio, which is why his space looks so restricted at the moment.



So that is a little something I plan to do when I get back to college next week. Updates will be posted regularly!

Bye for now, and have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment