Tuesday 16 October 2012

Making Progress With 3D

Hello guys!

Today was the day I had my first ever workshop, and it was on 3-D Studies, and I must say, I am very impressed with what we were thought, and I can't tell you how excited I fell to explore my ideas with the new skills I learnt today!

We first started explaining some ideas to Elaine which we would like to explore further with 3-D. I explained how I wanted to explore the idea of restricted space with 3-D, and after talking with Elaine, I found out that I should try and explore the idea of building up a sense of entrapment by using a Perspect box, and gradually making it clouded using different materials, forcing the viewer to see less of the inside of the box. 

We also learned how to Finger Weave! We use a long string and by making loops in it using our fingers, we ended up having a beautiful loops and knots, which was very useful for fashion designs and swatches.

Paper Weaving was the next technique we learned, which I found to be the most fascinating of the two techniques. By using simple paper straws, we were able to create an intricate 3-D piece, which to me almost resembles DNA or even a cocoon, which ties in with my project perfectly!



I'll end this update by posting some pictures of some of my 3-D work which I will further develop with the techniques and ideas learned form this valuable workshop!


- Using paper origami to create a restricted room, the shape of which is geometric. The room contains a small drawn man, whom which you can look at through three triangular openings of the room.


















- Creating a cage using cardboard, paper straws and masking tape. The cage will become a "human cage" where a person (showing by using either a 2-D or 3-D material) will become trapped in this space.






- Breaking out of a restricted space. The fist is made out of clay, which is placed in a flower pot. The cracks on the surface of the fist represents the frustration of many attempts to break free from restriction.













See ya guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment