Monday 14 January 2013

Semester 2 - No.1: Visual Communications

I'm back after the assessments, and ready to get cracking on my first discipline, Visual Communications.

Today, we were given a brief on illustrations. We have to create illustrations, either 2-D or 3-D, which illustrate a given word. We each picked an active word at random, and the word I had chosen is "Stretch". With that word, I first needed to create a brainstorm that is individual and unique, and once that brainstorm is complete and stuck up on my studio wall, I then had to create coloured thumbnail images of the words written down in the brainstorm.

It was really fun to start fresh with a completely new topic, and drawing the thumbnails was quite a nice change from the sort of stuff I normally do. Now we need to experiment with different materials. So far, I have stretched out tinfoil with my hands, created a relief of my own face by stretching the tin foil in front of me, and I messed around with some other materials, such as bubble wrap, Lycra tights, balloons, plastic bags, string, and even chewing gum. I would love to apply some of my skills with Photoshop into this illustrative project, perhaps involving chewing gum, since it's quite different and quirky.

Here are some pictures of experiements I've done (More experiments coming up in the next update!):







No comments:

Post a Comment